Play nurses and doctors in the brand new Florence Nightingale Museum which opens on May 12, the birth date of the Lady of the Lamp, following a £1.4million development. Located in London’s popular family destination, South Bank, the new museum tells the real story of the woman behind the legend as well as the Victorian world in which she lived.
The new Museum marks the centenary of Florence’s death with an engaging and memorable experience. Visitors travel through three pavilions which explore the famous nurse’s Victorian childhood, her time at the Crimean War and her later years as an ardent campaigner for health reform. Highlights from the collection include the writing slate she used as a child; her pet little owl Athena who travelled everywhere in her pocket; and the medicine chest she took to the battlefield. The museum also celebrates the nursing profession and explains how Florence impacted modern-day practices.
Children of all ages will love the vivid storytelling and the chance to engage all the senses:
- Open up Florence’s trunk to discover a replica hospital sash, a bedpan, a roll of bandages and even a stump pillow used by amputees.
- Learn how to wash your hands properly, just like a real trainee nurse.
- Florence was a formidable campaigner. Write her a letter about an issue which means a lot to you.
- Little ones, aged 3 to 7, can have a go at the i-spy trail or peek into the child height viewers to see cartoons.
- 7 to 11 year olds can wear a pair of stethoscopes to enjoy the audio tour which has been especially created for this age group, whilst teenagers can listen to the adult version.
- See the Crimean War through the eyes of six different characters, including Tolstoy. Explore photographs, sounds, maps and stories with this fun touchscreen exhibit.
- The Museum also offers a creative programme of free arts activities. This summer’s fun is themed ‘Inventive Victorians’ and will include everything from pinhole photography to paper making.
Opening hours: Daily, 10am – 5pm FROM MAY 12TH
Address: Florence Nightingale Museum, 2 Lambeth Palace Road London SE1 7EW
Admission Prices: adult £5.80, child (under 15)/concs £4.80, family £16 (2 adults and up to 5 kids), groups of 15+ receive 10% discount if booked in advance.